Wednesday 6 August 2014

A Mum moment

It was only a couple of blogs ago that my Dad made it into print. This due, mainly to an unfortunate incident with a garden parasol.  Well now it's my Mum's turn.  I think I may have mentioned that my cousin in Australia is enthusiastically  researching our family history. At the moment she is trying to place a couple of names that have cropped up, and, as Mum is now the only surviving member of the previous generation I decided to ask if she remembered them.  Unfortunately, I didn't pick a particularly good moment to broach the subject as she had just returned from a 'girly' (average age 82) lunch.  Clearly one or two Bacardi breezes had been consumed as this is how the conversation went....
Me.."Do you remember Pat and David Rowan?"
Mum.."Jane  Parkhead"
Me.."Who?"
Mum.."Her son's often in the pub, he's workshy, never had a job."
Me..."Who are they?"
Mum..."He's his son"
Me.."Who's son?"
Mum.."David's"
Me..(totally bewildered) "how can that be, do you mean brother?...
Mum..."Errr Not sure"
Me..."Surely they would have the same surname, unless someone's remarried, maybe, possibly?!!"
Mum.."Yes,  she did remarry. A factory owner I think"
Me.. (Thinking I may be getting somewhere) "So was he called Parkhead?"
Mum.."Can't remember, she was always just Pat to me"
Me...(even more bewildered) "Pat? Thought we were talking about Jane Parkhead?"
Mum... "Hmmm!" Let me think!!"
Me.. "Anyway, back to the David connection, perhaps you could ask Jane Parkhead?"
Mum.."Not easily"
Me.."Why?"
Mum.."She'd dead!!"

I am now getting the distinct impression that Mum's not really into this family history stuff.

Anyway, back to the present, and some new photo offerings..

Sue x







1 comment:

  1. THOSE ARE REALLY LOVELY PICTURES, THE HAIR MAKES THE SHOT.
    YOU SHOULD TRY ONE OF YOUR WATCH PICTURES WITH A QUALITY
    BOTTLE OF BUBBLY......

    ReplyDelete